You and Your Lumbar
Lower back pain is one of the most common medical complaints and the number one complaint that brings patients into our practice. Lower back pain occurs in the lumbar region of the spine- where five of the largest vertebrae support the bulk of your weight.
Pain in the lumbar region can be caused by:
- Poor posture
- Injury to muscles and ligaments
- Improper lifting & repetitive movements
- A ruptured or herniated disc disease
- Degenerative disc disease
- Spinal tumors
- Sudden movements
Certain risk factors can increase the probability that you’ll experience low back pain, including smoking, obesity, aging, being female, stress, and depression. However, there are a number of actions you can take to care for your lumbar and prevent low back pain.
- Quit smoking
- Lose weight and maintain an appropriate weight
- Exercise regularly, focusing on your core
- When sitting, place a pillow behind you to support the curve of your lumbar
- Take some walks if you work at a desk
- Reduce stress through meditation, prayer and exercise
If you have back pain, schedule an examination to determine if you’re a candidate for chiropractic care in Greenbelt. Many who walked through our door no longer suffer from lower back pain.