Learn About The History Of Perry Hall MD

Current and Past

Perry Hall defined as a place which is census-designated and also a community which is unincorporated is located in United States, Baltimore County which is in State of Maryland. The community's current population by 2010 was about 28,474 residents. Like some hundred years back, nomadic Indians explored Baltimore County on its northeastern part who were coming from Pennsylvania. The area was then occupied by Chesapeake with Susquehannocks dominating the resident. They intimidated very much the Indian smaller clans and this lasted till the 17th century when Europeans settled in Maryland area. Those Susquehannocks then frequently moved through the area Perry Hall making use of Joppa Road.
Captain Smith John in 1608 as he explored Gunpowder River encountered the Susquehannocks. Smith's expedition led to intense industrialization alongside River Gunpowder leading to Baltimore County by 18th Century becoming a site with many forges, furnaces and mills. Consequently, some settlement emerged settling next to Joppa and Cowenton Roads. Harry Dorsey a wealthy planter in the year 1774 purchased piece of land measuring 1000 acres which was later renamed Perry Hall by Gough. The same person completed the Mansion construction.


The Gough's

The community's life was dominated by the Gough's until Civil War emerged. That Gough plantation formed part of the biggest in the county of Baltimore. This civil war triggered plantation life to end in US. In 1875, Perry Hall was sold to Slifer Eli who lives in Philadelphia. He divided the piece of property to sized farms which he sold to immigrating families. Most of the immigrants came from Germany. With time, the town was named Germantown. Those farmers who settled there grew stoop crops such as carrots and celery. By the 20th century, most families living there opened flower shops and nurseries.


As time went by

The town Germantown changed to Perry Hall. After 2ND World war, Perry Hall was transformed into a suburb from rural area. In the year 1945, an association aiming to improve Perry Hall was established for lobbying necessary infrastructure for supporting that community. Most successful was an endeavor by Library Association of the Northeast which was formed for acquiring Perry Hall new library. In 1963, the library was fully culminated.


At those years

The improvement association became the community's social nucleus hosting Bingo nights, parties and dances in Perry Hall primary School currently called Gribbin Center. Halloween parade grew from this which is a tradition in Perry Hall launched in 1949.


Perry Hall began changing

Recording urbanization signs everywhere. Between 1968 and 1956 county built 3 schools in the regions with residents of the city purchasing homes form Perry Hall. The first community shopping center in 1961 was built alongside Belair and Ebenezer Roads. By the year 1990, the population grew to about 22,723 residents. Within a period of ten years from 1980 to 90 the community experienced construction of 6000 plus housing units.
Perry Hall's development has really diversified living ways in the region. Town Center and Marsh White Mall has led to rise of new jobs, technological industries as well as bringing health services nearby the region which was undeveloped. Perry Hall apparently can be termed regional economy. However, this region still maintains its traditions.