Learn About The History Of Bowie Md

Early Bowie, MD

Situated in the center of Maryland State, Bowie is a city in Prince George's County, of the United States of America. Governor Samuel Ogle in 1745 built Belair estate that brought a significant settlement named Huntington. The rich soil in the area turned it a prime location for both food crops and tobacco production. Later in 1870, the site was chosen as a major rail junction. As of 2016, the area had a population of 58393 people making it the largest municipality in Prince George's County and the third largest city in the US state of Maryland.


The Origin of the name Bowie

Initially, Bowie was called Huntington, but later the station was named Bowie in honor of Oden Bowie who was the president of the railroad and governor of Maryland between 1869 to 1872. It began as a small train stop of the Annapolis and Elk Ridge Railroad and Potomac and Baltimore Railroad, but over the years, it has developed and grown to be the largest municipality in Prince George's County.


The economy

Bowie economy was depending on agriculture and slavery. The area had small farms and large tobacco plantation. In addition to the economy of the area was the region's proximity to Baltimore and Washington, D.C. However, in 1910 the station building was destroyed by the fire but was later rebuilt. Bowie is also known for having the largest number of museums. One of the most known sites is the Belair Mansion.


Early years

The Beliar Mansion was in Belair Estate, which was originally owned by Robert Carville of St. Mary's city. The property had grown from five hundred acre tract to 1410 acres when owned by Reverend Mr. Jacob Henderson who changed the name from Catton to Beliar. Later he sold it to Governor Samuel Ogle, and his son Governor Benjamin Ogle. Later James T. Woodward who was a wealthy banker bought the estate in 1898. Unfortunately, he passed on and left it to his nephew William Woodward, Sr, who became known for breeding racing horses. Unfortunately, it was closed following the death of his son. Nevertheless, it remains the oldest continually operating a thoroughbred horse farm in the country.


Development during and after the civil war

Bowie was directly between two great cities of Baltimore and Washington, D.C. making it develop naturally because of transportation issue surrounding it. It had the center on developing a railroad into the part of the county that extended into southern Maryland. Luckily, Col. William D. Bowie in 1853 he managed to convince the Maryland Legislature to charter the Potomac and Baltimore Railroad Company designed to serve Southern Maryland. Unfortunately, the plans were delayed by civil war. After the War Between the States, Baltimore and Potomac Railroad Company gained power in the Pennsylvania Railroad. They were allowed to build the long-sought line into southern Maryland.


The takeaway

Initial Bowie MD was a patchwork of farm and village but now is a vibrant city, with numerous developed projects turning it into a modern city. In addition, its heritage and history are still very rich and worth for visitor to visit and learn more about it.